Number of Participants: 13
Hours Donated: 4
Value of Time Served: $439
Event Type: Civic & Community
Date: June 1, 2021
Fifth grade student government members from Summit Lane Elementary School in the Levittown Public Schools facilitated a community outreach drop-off event after school on May 19 to support the New Ground organization of Levittown. New Ground provides social work and education services to help families and veterans break the cycle of poverty and homelessness.
With the help of student government co-advisers Meghan Ruane and Maureen McLaughlin, along with teacher Jennifer O’Brien, the students set up their event in the front circle of the school. Summit Lane students and families were encouraged to attend and drive through the circle to donate paper goods, along with hygiene and household items, to benefit New Ground. This included dropping off needed items such as body lotion and body wash, dish soap, facewash, household cleaning products, shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrushes and toilet paper.
The service project coincided with the Summit Lane P.R.I.D.E. Program, which stands for Patience, Respect, Integrity, Determination and Excellence. Summit Lane students including the school’s student government members, value and focus on these positive attributes throughout the school year in different ways.
While cars drove through the front circle of the school, music played and the students created colorful signs filled with words of gratitude. Safety protocols were in place as students wore their masks and gloves as donators generously handed them boxes and bags of items through their car windows. As a sign of appreciation, the student government members gave each supporter a pinwheel.
The afternoon outreach event was a success as members collected about eight large boxes, six large bags and a number of small bags filled with items to donate to New Ground.
“It feels good to be giving back,” said Frankie Imperato, fifth grade student government president. “I hope that the organization is really happy with what we collected.”
“It’s really fun to be doing this,” added Kaylee Weinberg, fifth grade student government vice-president. “We want to thank everyone who donated.”
1) Summit Lane student government members collected items for the New Ground organization in Levittown.
2) Summit Lane Student Government President Frankie Imperato held up a thank you sign as cars dropped off items to support the cause.
3) Fifth grade student government member Freddie Ulmschneider with a box of donations.
4) Fifth grade student government members collected donations from Summit Lane families to support the New Ground organization in Levittown.
5) Fifth grade student government member Abigail Jimenez with bags of donations.
6) Fifth grade student government member Nurianna Torres created a thank you sign for the service event.
7) Student Government President Frankie Imperato (left) helped sort the donations with Student Government Co-Adviser Maureen McLaughlin (right).
Photos courtesy of the Levittown Public Schools