Number of Participants: 10
Hours Donated: 10
Value of Time Served: $845
Event Amount Raised: $36,939
Event Type: Civic & Community
School: Lynbrook Senior High School
Date: October 16, 2020
Lynbrook High School
Union Avenue, Lynbrook
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, Lynbrook High School Key Club (which includes student athletes) recently participated in their annual gourmet popcorn sale from Double Good, where half of the proceeds support an organization or charity of choice. The Key Club executive board agreed to fundraise for five charities this year: The Dr. Santo Barbarino Scholarship Fund, Rose Brucia Educational Foundation, Long Island Coalition for the Homeless, Kiwanis Children’s Fund and Project 9 Line.
The fundraising process looked different from previous years due to the pandemic. Students were unable to collect physical checks and fill out forms so Double Good created an online, easy-access platform where members were able to spread the world and allow others to contribute to their fundraiser.
Through the club’s tremendous efforts, members raised $2,000 within an hour and $15,000 within the first 24 hours. The final outcome after just four days of fundraising was $36,939 worth of popcorn sold or about $18,500 for their charities of choice, granted by 752 gracious donors. This was a record-breaking amount for the Key Club. Members who raised the most included Dea Pulatani, Joe Giovinco, Lexie and Hailey Samelson, Rachel Belmont and Jaden Harvin.
“The motivation from the whole executive board drove the members to go above and beyond, while simultaneously enjoying the process,” said Key Club Co-President Marti Candel.
Key Club adviser Dr. Benedict Tieniber praised the students for their unified effort.
“Once again, thank you to everyone who participated,” he said. “The success of this program will always be appreciated; kickstarting a fantastic year for the Lynbrook Key Club 2020-2021.”
1) The Lynbrook Key Club donated $5,016.50 to the Rose Brucia Educational Foundation from their popcorn sales. Pictured are seniors Olivia Dublin (left) and Carly Tucker.
2) The Lynbrook Key Club donated $3,000 to Project 9 Line from their popcorn sales. Pictured are seniors Natalia Leszczak (left) and Marti Candel.
3) The Lynbrook Key Club donated $5,016.50 to the Dr. Santo Barbarino Scholarship Fund. Pictured are seniors Marti Candel (left) and Joe Giovinco.
4) The Lynbrook Key Club donated $3,000 to the Long Island Coalition for the Homeless. Pictured is senior Samantha Feldman (left) and junior Jaden Harvin.
5) The Lynbrook Key Club donated $2,450 to the Kiwanis Children’s Fund. Pictured are seniors Alexandra Fox (left) and Camilla Bahri.
Photos courtesy of the Lynbrook Public Schools