Number of Participants: 20
Hours Donated: 2
Value of Time Served: $338
Event Type: Children & Youth
School: Gen Douglas Macarthur Senior High School
Date: March 23, 2022
General Douglas MacArthur High School
Old Jerusalem Road, Levittown
Students on the Challenger basketball teams from Jonas E. Salk Middle School and General Douglas MacArthur High School in the Levittown Public School District faced off in their annual Challenger League Homecoming game on March 15.
It was the first time the event was hosted at MacArthur High School, and it was as celebratory as ever. The Challenger Athletics Program offers students with special needs the opportunity to be part of school sports. Students took turns bringing the ball across the court before passing it to a teammate for a shot at the hoop, as Generals cheerleaders and friends and families in the crowd cheered them on.
The special event aims to give students in the Challenger Program a unique experience while boosting their social development through peer interaction. During the game, the students were assisted by volunteer student athletes.
- Students on the Challenger basketball team from General Douglas MacArthur High School rushed onto the court and tore through a banner for their Homecoming game on March 15.
- Every student had their moment to score.
- The General, MacArthur’s mascot, pumped up the crowd.
- Students on the Jonas E. Salk Middle School Challenger team faced off against students from MacArthur.
- Student athletes assisted Challengers players as they brought the ball up and down the court and passed it off to teammates.
Photos courtesy of Levittown Public Schools