Number of Participants: 60
Hours Donated: 2
Value of Time Served: $1,014
Event Amount Raised: $1,500
Event Type: Health & Medicine
Sport: Boys Ice Hockey
Date: February 11, 2020
875 Ridge Rd
Webster, NY 14580
“Webster, N.Y. — Two teams – both from Webster – came together recently to raise awareness about mental health.
Before last week’s hockey game between Webster Schroeder and Webster Thomas, each player held up a piece of paper explaining why they fight for someone – or something.
Proceeds from the contest are going to the Rochester chapter of the National Alliance for Mental Health.
Kudos to all of the Webster players in tonight’s bright spot.” https://13wham.com/features/bright-spot/bright-spot-raising-awareness
* over 40 athletes were on the ice with signs, with another 20 JV players involved for the Warriors in other capacities.
* each athlete on the Webster Schroeder Varsity and JV hockey teams were asked to sell wrist bands that had engraved “You are not alone * Warrior Family”.
* varsity captains participated in the morning shows to make the announcements
* each player – Schroeder Warriors and Thomas Titans – completed a sign about someone / something that impacts them in the area of mental health. These signs were held by each varsity player at the game
* JV players and their families staffed some fundraising tables (chuck a puck and raffles) to raise money for NAMI ROC, as well as collecting donations. As a result of all efforts made during the evening, a total of $1500 of donations were raised
* For several years, community service has been an important element to the sports organizations, especially Webster Hockey. A few years ago the coaches and players at Webster Schroeder Hockey chose NAMI as the benefactor of their efforts because mental health issues affect the majority of youth today. The goal in selecting this non-profit and this area of interest was to increase the conversation and give some financial help to the local organization that offers critical support services in this area.